About Me

My photo
Allowing the flow not to consume me!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

To say I HATE this disease is an understatement

Or should I?  If I reflect on  my own path it lead me to a God so full of grace he gave me the strength to go on when no one else cared if I lived or died.  But it takes so many of us too.  This morning I got "that" call.  One of my group members was found dead of probably an overdose.   I am sitting here grieving for all that he was and could have been.  He was 40 years old.  His sister, dad, wife and step mother all are part of our group.  His mother is beside herself.  We bury ourselves everytime one of "us" dies this way. 
To never have known relief before dying of this disease is sad enough.  But he had been in our rooms.  He had been sober.  I asked about him the other day.  It was not good news.  But we ALWAYS reserve hope, don't we?  It is in this realm that I say  I HATE this disease.   I HATE what happens if we don't seek a solution.  But if we never knew then we never knew. 
But what about those of us that knew and still chose to return to that darkness?  Is that worse?  Who knows? 
I said a pray for the handful of us that will mourn the loss of someone too young to die but older than most for having lived the life he had.  
I am grateful for the opportunity to stay sober one more day and be of use to his family that is left to pick up the shattered pieces of a life cut short too soon.
For you WP  may you finally have the peace you so craved........

No comments:

Post a Comment