About Me

My photo
Allowing the flow not to consume me!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Listen Closely


Listen to what you are saying to yourself.  Are you kind?  Gentle?  Loving?  Negative, judgmental?  Self-talk can be so damaging when it is all negative.  So listen….

When someone hurts me and I am unsure of why, or when there is conflict with another human being using kinder thoughts to work through the issue is huge.  Ok, I was hurt by someone, felt betrayed but had little facts to go by.  My first thought was, damn them.  However, with the limited information I had, I was going by my negative emotion resulting in a less than desirable thought process.  Putting on the brakes and redirecting to something kinder truly takes some of the strength out of the punch.

If it is a learned behavior (and they all are) then it can be unlearned or relearned in a different fashion.  Truly difficult but totally do-able.  The affect will also reduce the angst until all the information is received.  In the meantime, time wasn’t wasted on fear, anger, worry ……

That in itself brings a smile to my face.

Something else to add to that ‘bag of tricks’ was told to me over and over and over last summer… although I was unable in the midst of that crap to fully utilize this concept.

When I was full of self-doubt, act as if I was a woman full of confidence… no one on the outside knows anyway.  Totally self-soothing.  Fill in the ‘blank’ with anything that troubles us/you.

If you have lived as long as I and used negative energy all the time…. Begin with this kinder self-talk.   Borrowing from a great movie, ‘you is smart, you is kind, you is important’.  Any age, anytime… try this on for size…

If life doesn’t already throw a mess of stuff our way the last thing we need or should want is the critic inside us to come out screaming, ‘you dumb ass’.  Right?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment