About Me

My photo
Allowing the flow not to consume me!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Speaking up.

Speaking at meetings has always come easily for me.  Why wouldn't it?  I'm a egotistical recovering person.  Well at times that comes across louder than others.  Is all that I share ego driven?  I hope not.  I hope that I am not speaking to hear myself, but rather to help another. 
Being the 'speaker" at a meeting is something entirely different.  It's hard and uncomfortable if for only a few minutes.  I experienced that this weekend.  Speaking at a small group where I had never been before.  And no one seemed to even be paying attention.  That made me feel like what I was saying wasn't important to anyone there.  I kept focusing on "the primary purpose" during the talk.  No head nods, no smiles.  What was going on there?  Was anyone happy to be sober AND at a meeting?  Just didn't seem so.  Afterwards a few members came up and thanked me for being there.  But what I realized is the only ones that did were long term sobriety.  I have no idea about the rest.  I took it to heart at first and then found the answer inside of me.  I was there to carry a message.  How they receive it is none of my busines..   Who knows maybe someone woke up Sunday morning happy to be alive and sober and remembered something I shared?! 
If not I can say that I stayed sober and had a good time doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment